Following the demonetization in Nov 2016, the focus has been shifted to digital transactions. A host of initiatives has been launched over the past year or so to make digital transactions easy and simple. UPI – Unified Payment Interface is one such initiative. Most of the leading banks of India including private sector banks have also launched their own UPI Apps, which offer you some of the best features to make your online transaction easy.
UPI App – What it is?
UPI App is the way through which you can send and receive money digitally without the need to provide any of your details other than your name. Almost all banks have launched their own apps. The apps are available on iOS and Android operating system.
You can download the app either from Google Play Store and iTunes. UPI is an app launched by NCPI to simplify the process of digital transactions. The UPI app is a simple and easy to use the app which you can link your bank account to. You can use the app to send and receive money in an instant and secure way.
UPI needs nothing more than your name for functioning. Pay for anything using your name alone. And yes, you do not need to have an account with the particular bank to be able to use the UPI app from a bank. You can link your account from any bank.
How Can You Use UPI App?
Well, using UPI App involves several phases. To begin with, you will need to link your bank account to the UPI app. The steps involved are as under –
Set Up Your UPI Account
- Download the UPI App and launch it. You can download an UPI App from the bank where you have opened your account or a generic UPI app such as BHIM.
- Choose your Bank and Account number. Please note that you need not have an account with any particular bank. You can link any of the accounts from a bank that has launched UPI.
- Create your VPA (Virtual Payment Address) with your name. The suffix of your VPA would be @<yourbank>. For instance, kamat@<yourbank>.
- Link your account to VPA and set an M-PIN.
Send Money using UPI App
When you want to send money to somebody, launch your UPI App. Please note that you need the VPA of the recipient to be able to send money through UPI.
- Launch your UPI app.
- Choose the Transfer option.
- Enter your VPA and the recipients’
- Enter the Amount.
- Enter your M-PIN and confirm to send money.
Request Money through UPI App
- The process involved is simple as for sending money.
- Enter your VPA as well as the sender’s VPA.
- Enter the Amount.
- You will receive money when the sender approves the request on the app.
How useful is it?
Any UPI App works on the basis of UPI. UPI is the best payment system that works based on the VPA you created and it does not need you to share any other details about your bank account. You can send any amount (subject to a predefined limit) round the clock.
The best part of the UPI app is that you do not need to share any of your bank details to send money to any bank account around the nation. There is no need to send any other details like the account number or IFSC code.
The Parting Thoughts
UPI or Unified Payment Interface has been one of the revolutionary steps in the direction of a popularising and safeguarding digital transactions. It would be important to mention here that all the UPI apps from participating banks have now been integrated with BHIM – Bharat Interface for Money Transfer. That would make the name change its name to include the prefix BHIM, for instance, BHIM Axis Pay or BHIM SBI Pay.
One of the simplest methods to conduct any of your transactions across multiple banks, UPI app is a one-stop solution for your financial management.