I have written this article for professionals that could attach webhosting services to their existing business. Such professionals include web designers, coders and developers, graphic designers, digital marketers and SEO agencies. If you belong to any of these groups you will probably already have a list of clients who could benefit from web hosting services from you. For example, if you operate a web design business, it will be very natural to offer your clients a competitive webhosting package as part of your services.
But how can you offer webhosting plans if you don’t own your own data centre?
In this article I am going to discuss how to start selling web hosting services without owning a datacentre or even a single server of your own.
Webhosting sold Wholesale
At Tricksmode there is an article that talks about webhosting companies. All these offer reliable reseller hosting services. Domain.com is another webhosting company which offers WholesalePlus Reseller Program. This gives any reseller access to tools that allow them complete control of their clients’ hosting experience leaving the 24 x 7 server management to Domain.com technicians.
Domain.com WholesalePlus starts at $49.95 per annum but it can be even less if you use a valid Domain.com coupon and save up to 25% off.
But firstly, I will outline the 6 steps to start as a reseller of webhosting services. Then I will give you 4 tips to help you optimise your business and become a reputable provider of web hosting.
5 Steps to getting started as a Reseller of webhosting services
Find the ideal hosting reseller package
2. Think about the type of web hosting plans you wish to offer
3. Sign up for a reseller package which best suits your particular needs
4. When setting up the webhosting plans, follow all the instructions provided to you by the parent hosting company
5. Start promoting your business and sign up clients. Start with your existing clients.
Things you should do to look like a big, reputable webhosting company
Here are some of the things you need to do in order to look like a reputable webhosting provider:
1. Choose the best and most suitable name for your reseller business. Choose a name which says what the business does instantly. You also need to have a professional looking website. A professional looking site will make customers feel much safer when signing up with you as their webhost. In many instances, the parent hosting companies offer resellers a professional looking site that’s customized to their own brand and colors.
2. Offer reliable customer support. Customer support is a very crucial part of a web hosting package. However, as a one man operator you will not have the infrastructure to offer technical and admin support like that of a professional webhosting organisation. What you need to do is provide your clients with a phone number which links them with the parent company’s customer support.
3. Ensure you have good uptime score. As a reseller, the first thing on your checklist should be the uptime score of the parent company. If you don’t partner with a reliable parent company, you might have to deal with low uptime scores and outages. This can lead to lots of angry webmasters. To avoid this, you should partner with a reliable hosting company whose minimum uptime score is 99%. An uptime score that’s below this might negatively impact your clients’ business.
4. As a reseller, never lessen the features you get from the parent hosting company. If the parent hosting company offers you unlimited bandwidth, then you need to sell it as a feature to your clients.