There was a time when most of the videos were recorded and preserved in DVDs. People used to have huge movie collections on DVDs and Blu-Ray. It became very difficult for them to secure their memories because these DVDs are really fragile to be handled. People are not aware of the convenient process to preserve their videos.
MakeMKV is a software that can be easily installed in your computer system. This tool is exclusively used to convert any audio, pictures, and video files to the MKV format. You just have to download the software on your PC or Mac and then select the files that you want to convert using the software.
In this article, we are going to introduce you to an incredible tool. That will be very helpful for you to preserve your old memories, like your pictures and videos by converting them to MKV. You will get to know the process of downloading and converting your file format.
How Does MakeMKV Work?
MakeMKV can be said as a solution for all the media files that are unable to be played in every system or media player. You can convert all types of media files like audio, videos, Photos and DVD files to MKV. This is a transcoder that converts the format of your files without losing the quality and keeping the data encrypted. We have mentioned some tasks that are performed by this Software program.
- It can read all the old and latest versions of DVDs, Blu-Ray, BD+, and AACS.
- Chapter information is preserved.
- The audio type and track language of any audio that is being converted by this software.
- All the converted audio and video data is preserved in HD MKV format.
- The conversion speed of the software depends on the speed of your Hard Drive Data Reading Speed.
- You do not have to download additional software.
- You can easily encrypt or decrypt media files.
- This software is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
How to download MakeMKV?
There are a few simple steps that can be followed to download this tool on your computing devices.
- Open your browser and go to the search bar.
- Search for the official website of MakeMKV.
- Download links will appear on your screen for MacOS, Windows and Old versions of software.
- Select a link according to the operation system of your device.
- Select the downloading link according to your operating system compatibility.
- Click on either x64 Bits or x86 Bits System.
- If you are using a Mac, then adjust the Mac’s Gatekeeping options to download and install it.
Steps to Convert Media Files in MKV
There are some steps that are really important to be followed for changing your DVD video and Blu-ray videos to the MKV folder. Follow these steps as follows.
- Launch the application of MakeMKV on your PC.
- It will show all the optical drives that are available.
- If you want to convert data from your Disk or DVD then insert it in your system.
- The software will get to know if any disk is inserted.
- If you are not converting the format of the file from DVD, then select files from your hard drive.
- Go to the file menu, and click on the option of “Open File”.
- Browse the file location and select the video.
- After the selection of the video, it will be shown in the form of a tree structure on the software interface.
- Click in the tiles or part of the videos you want to convert and save in the form of MKV.
- To initiate your conversion, click on the “Make MKV” button.
- The format conversion to MKV will begin.
- It will take time, according to the speed of your system.
- The speed of conversion depends upon the speed of data reading of your optical drive.
- It typically takes up to 15 minutes, but it can take a bit longer if the speed of your optical drive is a bit slow.
- Once the conversion is completed, you can easily access your MKV files.
MakeMKV demands some important requirements to get you MKV files. We have mentioned some requirements that are needed for its proper performance as follows.
- It is really important to have enough space on your hard drive to store all the media files that are to be converted from DVDs and Blu-Ray, as these videos require more storage.
- Typically, DVD files need around 4.7 GB of storage
- The Blu-Ray requires around 50 GB storage which is a huge storage space.
- If you are going to convert DVDs Media then you must have a DVD optical drive on your system.
- If you have a Blu-Ray drive on your PC, then it would be simpler for you to convert Blu-Ray, DVDs, and CD media to MKV using this software.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there any difference between Blu-Ray and DVD?
All the converted files from Blu-Ray will be named “Title 01, Title 02, and Title 03”, but if you are converting the format from DVD, all the converted files will be saved with the original title of the file.
2. Is there any Alternative for Make MKV?
If you are not interested in using MakeMKV, then there is an alternative software which is named HandBrake.
3. On what Operating systems can it be used?
It is a cross platform compatible software which can be used in Windows, MacOS and Linux.
Read more: A Comprehensive Guide of Xvid Video Encoding
MakeMKV can convert all types of media files like audio, videos, Photos and DVD files to MKV. This software is a kind of transcoder that converts the format of your files. It converts format without losing its quality and keeps data encrypted. You can easily download and install it in your system and follow the above-given steps to change your file format to MKV. We hope this guide was helpful for you.