Computers are very powerful nowadays and support graphics well beyond that of a PS2, but if you’re nostalgic for the games that came on one of the best-selling consoles in the world then you’re in luck. This guide will show you how to play PlayStation 2 games on a PC or laptop.
Emulators have come a long way. An emulator is a program virtualizes the run-time environment for something; in this case the environment that we are mimicking is that of the PS2. Now to emulate something like a Gameboy or even a Playstation takes considerable effort, there are plenty of bugs and the creators typically have to do a lot of reverse-engineering; but to emulate the games of a PS2 is actually quite a feat.
Step-By-Step Guide to play ps2 games on pc or Laptop
Follow these steps and you’ll be emulating games like your PC was a PS2.
1. The first thing that you’ll need is the emulation software. It is called PCSX2. Download PCX2 – http://pcsx2.net/download.html
2. After the download has finished, run the program and finish the setup. This will install the emulator, but in order to actually play games you’ll need a BIOS Pack. 3. Download the PlayStation 2 BIOS pack so that you are able to play games on your emulator. Download PS2 BIOS Pack – http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/emulators/playstation-2-bios-pack/
4. Locate your PCSX2 folder, which should be wherever the program installed to (likely Program Files). Once you find it, move the BIOS file that you downloaded into that folder.
5. The rest of the process is setup. Start the program and configure the default plugins. There are fields such as GS, PAD, SOUND, CDVD, USB, and others.
You can either leave these fields as they are or configure them to your specifications.
6. After you’ve configured the plugins and clicked Next, you’ll be taken to a screen where you can select the PlayStation 2 BIOS which you moved to your PCSX2 folder. Select Browse and click on the BIOS.
After the path to the BIOS file shows up, make sure you choose the type of console you want the emulator to run as. This can be a European console, Japanese console, or USA console…it all depends on what games you are trying to play and how you want to experience the emulation. After you’ve chosen the BIOS file and the type of console you want the emulator to run as, click Finish.
7. With the setup finished, the program should start running. With the program running, configure plugins and BIOS if need be. Remember the plugins are supposed to be configured for optimal system performance. So, experiment only if you’re getting drops in performance.
8. In the Config menu, located in the toolbar, you can configure your controller settings. This is done primarily for keyboard and mouse since if you’re using a PS2 controller the buttons will be automatically configured.
9. Lastly, choose the ISO you want to run by clicking the CDVD menu. Browse for the file (game) that you want to play and select it. With the file selected go to the System menu and then boot the CDVD that you just selected. You are now ready to play ps2 games on pc or Laptop. Do share with us your experience of Playing PS2 games in your PC or Laptop.