Google Play Store is the sole source of downloading the apps and games on your Android. However, there are several behind the scenes actions going on which will affect the download process. This can cause your Google Play Store to get stuck on downloading or even give errors such as Download Pending. If you are facing such issues on your phone, here are fixes that should help you out in solving the error.
Learn How to fix Google Play Store Stuck at Downloading?
Google keeps updating the way in which the Play Store handles downloads. These changes can at times cause your Google Play Store to give out errors. The app cache can also be a factor that prevents your downloads from completing smoothly.
One of the major issues with the download stuck error is it just refuses to go away. In fact, even a reboot does not seem to be sorting out the issue at times. This will cause your Google Play Store nonfunctional as you will not be able to download or update any other app or game without getting rid of the stuck on downloading error.
There are a few fixes you can try to sort out the issue. Go through the following fixes and check if these tips help you in solving the Play Store stuck on downloading error.
Fix 1 – Clear Download Queue
Google has recently changed the way it handles the downloads on Google Play Store. It now downloads one app at a time. If you are downloading several apps simultaneously, it can create a havoc as a result of huge download queue. Clearing download queue can help you fix this issue.
To do this,
- Launch Google Play Store.
- Swipe in from the left and tap on My Apps & Games.
- You should now see the apps that have been downloading.
- Tap on the X button beside the download progress. This will stop downloading that particular app.
- Repeat the procedure for all apps in the queue.
Now, try to download the apps one by one.
Fix 2 – Clear Cache and Data on Google Play Store
If the above fix does not solve your issue of a stuck download, it could be the cache of the Play Store app itself that may be having issues. It would be advisable to clear cache to fix the issue.
Follow these steps to do this,
- Choose Settings.
- Tap on Apps.
- On the next screen that lists the apps, locate Google Play Store and tap on it.
- On the App Info page, find Clear Data and Clear Cache.
- Tap on them one after the other to clear the app data and cache. Please note that you may need to reconfigure your Play Store app. If you are on Android Marshmallow or higher version of Android, you may need to tap into Storage first to access the page for Data and Cache.
Fix 3 – Force Stop Google Play Store
If the issue is still not resolved even after following those steps, you may need to force close Google Play Store app and then relaunch it.
Here is how it can be done,
- Go to Settings again.
- Tap on Apps.
- Locate Google Play Store under the list of apps.
- Tap on Force Close.
- Optionally, you may also clear data and cache as explained in the previous fix.
Give some time to the app to clear all the cache and files and rebuild the app data. Relaunch Google Play Store and check if it solves the problem for you. It would be advisable to reboot your phone to speed up the process further.
Fix 4 – Clear Download Manager
In fact, though it may appear to be the google play Store that is downloading the app, it is actually the app called Download Manager that does the task. Clearing data on this system app can sort out the download issues in many cases.
Do this to achieve it,
- Go to Settings app on your Android.
- Tap on Apps.
- Locate Download Manager or Downloads.
- On the app info screen, tap on Clear Data and Clear Cache. If your phone runs on Android version Marshmallow or higher, you may need to tap on Storage first to access the app info page.
- You may also consider to Force Close the Download Manager.
Hopefully, any of these steps combined together should sort out the issue for you. A combination should work better.
Conclusion for How to fix Google Play Store Stuck at Downloading
Those were a few fixes that should fix your issue of stuck downloads on Google Play Store. However, we cannot guarantee which of these fixes will work in your case. If you are unsure of what is causing the error on your phone, we would advise you to try all these methods in combination.
The Google Play Store stuck on downloading is one of the errors that – though appears to be a minor one – be frustrating. Go through the steps above and we are sure any of the fixes should solve your problem.